[r-t] Lead head codes

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Fri Apr 14 20:26:49 UTC 2017

On 14 April 2017 at 20:12,  <pje24 at cantab.net> wrote:

> The point is the current lettering system for classifying methods is
> indirect. That a method is "e group" yields no intrinsic information - you
> have to know or look up what leadhead e group corresponds to.

Absolutely! it condenses the information into a single character for
convenience in presentation in tables. Group e is therefore a
short-hand for 4-pivot at the half lead, 6-pivot at the lead end, a 12
lead end place notation, and a 16482735 (for Major) first leadhead.
Yes, you may need a look-up table to tell you what it means, but that
can then be applied to thousands of methods without you having to
repeat the detail. I would say that it is pretty good abstraction of
detail from the data.

Graham