[r-t] Lead head codes

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sat Apr 15 21:51:40 UTC 2017

On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 4:37 PM, <pje24 at cantab.net> wrote:
> Don " But in this regard your system really isn't so great, either,
> as Plain Bob has a different code at *every* stage"
>
> Umm, no, not if you define it as a n-pivot (where n is of course the
> highest-numbered working bell)

And, I presume we define London as an N-1 pivot, Cornwall as N-2, and
somehow pretend that having to do subtraction as part of our lead head
category names is obvious and natural? How do I know that when you say
Lincolnshire is a lead end 2,2 method that means it's really "2,2", and not
"N-6,2"? And for things like Bristol do you end up doing some sort of
modular arithmetic (in which case do we need to start thinking in terms of
zero based stags instead of one based ones?)? This is sounding more and
more like the sort of special-casey "simplification" that often seems so
exasperating about many of the Council's existing
decisions/definitions/whatever-they-ares. And, of course, we've completely
jettisoned odd stages.

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling
angel meets the rising ape."         -- Terry Pratchett, _Hogfather_