[r-t] Blocks to be renamed as methods

Iain Anderson iain at 13to8.co.uk
Thu Apr 20 15:58:40 UTC 2017

On 2017-04-20 16:49, Graham John wrote:
> On 20 April 2017 at 16:35, Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org> wrote:
>
>> Or, even better, just "Down Maximus".
> The current classification system tells you whether a method is a
> hunter (and if so which type) or a principle via its title. If you
> keep a classification system, it needs to be consistent. Down is a
> hunter.
>
> Graham

  This is where the classification system fails.  It may well be a
hunter under the current definitions, but nobody rings it like that.
The front eight do one bit of work, the back four do something else.
Thinking of it as a method with 9 and 10 as the hunt bells is such a
strange way of thinking about it.  Why would we want to hold on to a
classification system that forces us to think of things in such an
unnatural way?