[r-t] The Q-set parity law

Andrew Johnson andrew_johnson at uk.ibm.com
Wed Apr 26 20:59:50 UTC 2017

I have contributed a scan of my copy of Brian Price's paper to
ringing.info
http://www.ringing.info/bdp/q-set_parity_law.pdf

The Q-set parity law : a review of its proofs from Thompson's of 1886
(mathematics of campanology) / Brian D. Price.
Brian D. Price
[London] B.D. Price, 2006.

According to the catalogue the British Library holds a copy, It wasn't
generally available however, so I hope it is of interest to some
subscribers to the list.

At the time (31 January 2006) Brian replied to my comments on the paper
saying:

Dear Andrew - Thanks for your E-mail.  Yes, a major error in stating
"original
triples" instead of "original minor"!  Philip Saddleton has pointed that
out, too.
He also told me about an article in American Mathematical Monthly of
February 1999, of another proof of Rankin's theorem.  I obtained a
photocopy
of it, but I can't understand the terminology - up to date Group theory -
it seems
to delegate the proof to a textbook theorem. I'm all for simple stuff!
I think I'll have to re-issue the paper, with OT corrected and mention of
the
1999 article.  Also, I wasn't satisfied with the printing of my ink-jet
printer.
Someone sometime should re-vamp my list of permutation groups, as
several omissions of sub-groups and the like have turned up. Why not you?
I don't claim any particular originality over what I did!  Regards, B.D.P.

but I don't think he published an update with a correction to "original
triples" on page 9 or a mention of:

R. G. Swan. A simple proof of Rankin's campanological theorem. The
American Mathematical Monthly, 106(2):159-161, February 1999.

Andrew Johnson

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.