[r-t] "X above, Y below"

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Tue Aug 1 23:34:43 UTC 2017

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Pip Dillistone <tuftyfrog at gmail.com> wrote:
> With Bristol below and Double Dublin above you get a 2-3
> differential with 2 and 3 both hunt bells:

https://complib.org/method/32289?accessKey=f8fac86bb06c104f84fdb9201f26a7ea0bef08c6

The Composition Library, via this link, says this method is asymmetric.
Given the rule for generating it I'd naively thought it would have the
usual, palindromic symmetry. What happens to break that? Presumably there
must be some other, but still related and succinct, way to describe its
reverse?

"Great theories don't simply appear in someone's head as if by magic,
but take time to blossom. The so-called 'eureka' cry is more an
exclamation of mental relief than a cry of sudden revelation."
          -- Marcello Gleiser, _The Dancing Universe_