[r-t] Pitman's 13440 change compositions

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Wed Aug 9 10:57:59 UTC 2017

f.w.i.w, I seem to recall from the time that the secret of the
compositions was that, in a course, 7 and 8 are not in the same relative
positions throughout.

I remember sitting on a bean bag listening to a test match (most like vs
NZ) - and using pencil and paper to try to come up with something
myself. I generated several true courses, one involving Lincolnshire,
Yorkshire, Ospringe and one with the following pn: x5x6x5x36x4x23x234x7
before I found something more interesting to do.

The advantage of this is, like the three-lead spliced peals, (obviously)
that all you need to do is to put the courses together and the
composition must be true. (True is the sense of no in-course falseness).

Best wishes