[r-t] Pitman's 13440 change compositions

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Wed Aug 9 17:29:36 UTC 2017

Alan: "Pitman was pretty sharp wasn't he?!"

This is all rather perplexing. We have here a spliced composition
consisting mostly of Watford, Wembley and Rutland - three individual
methods that best exemplify the mediocrity of several generations of
surprise major ringing. Yet we also have an expertly crafted composition
by one of the giants of ringing theory, fulfilling its design-brief of a
tenors-together extent using familiar methods, and still unrung 56 years
after it was published.  I'm tempted to arrange an attempt myself. My
younger self would have raised an eyebrow.

I am very keen to see which other groups of methods can be used together
on these plans. What's the highest number of methods from Smith's and
Chandler's 23-spliced compositions that can be incorporated in one of
these 13440s?