[r-t] Pitman's 13440 change compositions

Glenn Taylor gaataylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Aug 10 20:35:36 UTC 2017

I also have an idea that the same (or similar) technique underpinned the method by which Norman Smith produced his 7-part atw series in a pre-computer age. I don't know if Richard Parker of Burnley reads this list but, if so, he might be able to confirm this.

Many moons ago as a teenage ringer I came into frequent contact with the late Roger Leigh, the interesting - if slightly eccentric - tower captain of Accrington who was instrumental in getting the tower augmented to a 12 via 11!. Many years after his early death in about 1978 I became aware of the existence of a 7-part peal of Plain Bob Major that he had composed (the figures for which I have never seen), and as his tower was only a few miles away from Norman Smith's I have often wondered whether it was Roger who first had the idea for 7-part compositions but Norman who exploited the idea to its fullest.

Glenn