[r-t] Extraction of False Course Heads

Roddy Horton roddy at horton.karoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 17 10:58:04 UTC 2017

REHW sent some output but I think it needs an explanation. I cannot find my original copy of Segars Blue Line Proof paper so I will  have a go myself.

Firstly write out the rows of the method - in this case I will use Rutland (as Segar did)

And then to the right note the nature of the row (+ if an even number of bells have swapped - if an odd number (this is easy to do from the place notation)) and the position of the treble and then 7864235 (the reason for this order will become apparent). The latter are called the Proving Rows.

Each pair of bells in the first row of the proving rows is the position of 78 in lead head order for group F - 78, 86 , 64 etc

Looking down the columns you then search for a pair the same with the nature and the treble the same

              Proving
Rutland       Rows
12345678     +1 78642357
21436587     +2 87531468
12463857     -1 86432578
21648375     -2 75341687
26143857     +3 86241578
62418375     +4 75132687
26148735     -3 65241786
62417853     -4 56132875
64271835     +5 46123784
46728153     +6 35214873
47621835     -5 26314782
74268153     -6 15423871
47286513     +7 24513862
74825631     +8 13624751
47826513     -7 23514862
74285631     -8 14623751
72458361     +8 15732641
27543816     +7 26841532
72548361     -8 15742631
27453816     -7 26831542
72435186     +6 17832451
27341568     +5 28741362
23745186     -6 37841253
32471568     -5 48732164
34217586     +4 57823165
43125768     +3 68714256
34215678     -4 78623157
43126587     -3 87514268
41325678     +2 78614357
14236587     +1 87523468
41263857     -2 86413578
14628375     -1 75324687

If we look at the rows marked +2 we see that we have
87531468
and
78614357

and the pair 14 is repeated.

Then rotate each proving row so that 14 is at one end
68753
35786
Then transpose by 45362 to get back to the original row
75836
78563
And the relationship between the 2 rows gives us the False Course Head,
In this case 24365

Read up from the position of 14 to find which leads are involved
78642357
87531468
78614357
We get 2-3 against 4-2.
So the final results is that the lead of the Plain Course when 7-8 are in position 2-3 is
false against the lead of the Course 2436578 when 7-8 are in position 4-2.
Etc.

Roddy