[r-t] Blue Line Difficulty

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Tue Aug 29 14:19:57 UTC 2017

On 29 August 2017 at 13:25, Mark Davies <mark at snowtiger.net> wrote:

> In addition to this, it is I think necessary to give weight to factors which
> ringers find subjectively difficult:
>
> 1. Frequent changes of direction
> 2. Wrong hunting
> 3. Non-PB leadheads

I believe that MethodMaster's difficulty index used changes of
direction. I don't know exactly how that was applied, but a dodge is
two changes of direction and one blow of wrong hunting, yet
experienced ringers find that trivial. I know people would find a
course of Cambridge rung starting at backstroke more difficult that
starting at handstroke, but is it intrinsically more difficult, and
should it have a different complexity score? The point at hand
followed by a point at back in Zanussi's backwork is effectively a big
dodge, and I am sure that once people become familiar with that, it is
little more difficult that an ordinary dodge, despite having a short
stretch of wrong hunting. Essentially what makes methods easier is
repetition of recognisable and previously learnt patterns.

Graham