[r-t] Fwd: bobs-only Grandsire Triples

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Fri Feb 3 01:33:05 UTC 2017

This looks like a nice write up, but I would say that the "modern" way to
establish the non-existence of a bobs-only extent is simply that it is an
immediate special case of Rankin's theorem (of which Swan's is the "book
proof").  Of course, Thompson still gets full credit for the first proof.
Rankin's and Swan's can be seen as generalizations that closely follow
Thompson's approach.

I thought Thompson was the senior wrangler at Cambridge?  That wouldn't
square too well with the assertion that he was "not a mathematician".

Also, I'm not sure it is accurate to say that Thompson was "not aware of
group theoretic tools".  The fact that he proved an interesting result in
group theory seems to strongly suggest the opposite!  Remember that
abstract combinatorial group theory as we know it today was barely around
at that time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_group_theory

By the way, understanding the Thomson/Rankin obstruction was the
key step in my paper on "Snake in the Box codes" which solved a minor open
problem arising in flash memory design.
http://aeholroyd.org/papers/snake.pdf

cheers, Ander