[r-t] Quarters of Spliced Major

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Mon Jan 30 15:57:49 UTC 2017

A couple of times a year I try to organise a quarter or date
touch of spliced major that's a bit different and perhaps a
little challenging, however I'm always struggling to find
compositions as very few published ones appeal.  These are
the last three we've rung:

http://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/view.php?id=448027
http://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/view.php?id=995726
http://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/view.php?id=1039723

Of these three, we found each a little harder than the
previous one.  That's not necessarily a bad thing but wasn't
intentional.

They've all been cyclic seven part compositions with every
lead different using a mixture of standard and non-standard
methods.  That seems to be about the right amount of
learning for a weekday evening quarter for us, and I like
the format, though I'm not adverse to trying an eight part.
Sticking to surprise methods is not a requirement, though
including a few Chandlers methods is a bonus as it helps to
keep them in mind.  The aim isn't to be gratuitously
difficult, rather to have a good balance of music, variety
and interest.  I'm inclined to think a quarter is too short
a length for a palindromic seven (or eight) part to have
enough interest.

The number of changes isn't too important as long as its
approximately between 1250 and about 2000 so it can be rung
after work and before the tower's 8pm curfew.  I've no
problem ringing an unorthodox length if it opens new
possibilities, but am not specifically looking to do so.

Does anyone have any interesting compositions that might fit
the bill?

RAS