[r-t] Calling positions and differential methods

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Mon Jul 10 17:13:29 UTC 2017

I'm not sure what conventions you want to assume when the observation
bell is affected by calls, so I'll stick to cases where it's not.

If by "course end" you mean a lead end when the _observation bell_ comes
back to its home position, then it seems clear that the answer to 1 is
yes.  In fact you do not need to know what the course end is, just that
there is one.  The sequence of calling positions just tells the
observation bell what to call, and it cannot ever wait a whole "course" in
the sense of its _own line_ between calls without having a course end.

If by "course end" you mean the lead end after number of leads for the
plain course to come round, then the answer is clearly no.  E.g. consider
the Royal method 67x (reverse plain hunt on front 6 and back 4), and the
call that substitutes 34 for x at the lead end.  Then the course

8ths.10ths 1654327890

has many possible interpretations.

Ander