[r-t] Calling positions and differential methods

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Tue Jul 11 23:18:18 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 6:12 PM, Graham John <graham at changeringing.co.uk>
wrote:
> It just means that you have to use plains in the calling, so 1.12
> has to be -WpHpH-H.

Isn't -WpHpH-H 1.4, not 1.12?

Anyway, am I correct in thinking you are suggesting something like the
following for those three W,H touches?

2345678  W  H
_____________
6732548  -  -
_____________

2345678  W  H
_____________
7362548  -
6537248     -
_____________

2345678  W  H
_____________
7362548  -
5367248
6235748     -
_____________

I'm pretty sure I'd stick with numeric descriptions were I publishing
something, probably with some default standard course length and the rest
with it stated explicitly, as is often done for Grandsire or Stedman on
higher numbers. Seems less likely to cause trouble. Something like

2345678  1  4
_____________
6732548  -  -   (4 leads)
_____________

2345678  1  8
6537248  -  -   (8)

2345678  1 12
6235748  -  -   (12)

"Our comforting conviction that the world makes sense rests on a
secure foundation: our almost unlimited ability to ignore our
ignorance."       -- Daniel Kahneman, _Thinking, Fast and Slow_