[r-t] Lead head codes redux

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Fri Jun 23 02:41:44 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 6:10 AM, Robin Woolley <robin at robinw.org.uk> wrote:
> Given that there seem to have been only two plain Caters methods
> rung with any other than p, q lead-end codes (both q1), it doesn't
> seem that too much trouble would be caused to renumber these q2
> leaving 'regular differentials' to be p1, q1 in future.

There is a further, slight complication this doesn't unambiguously address:
what do we do with the the lead heads that fall equidistant from p/r and
q/s? For example, does the little bob caters method 9.1.9.1.9.169,129 have
a p3 or a q3 lead head?

"I have yet to meet a successful scientist who lacks the ability to
exaggerate the importance of what he or she is doing, and I believe
that someone who lacks a delusional sense of significance will wilt in
the face of repeated experiences of multiple small failures and rare
successes, the fate of most researchers."
    -- Daniel Kahneman, _Thinking, Fast and Slow_