[r-t] Lead head codes redux

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Fri Jun 23 17:23:17 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 12:44 PM, Graham John <graham at changeringing.co.uk>
wrote:
> Isn't it just p and r have preference, as these always have an odd
> bell in seconds as opposed to q and s that have an even bell.

I think that's only true at odd stages. I think it's the other way around
at even stages (for the bell in 3rds rather than 2nds, of course).

I guess that might argue you have an extra p/r at odd stages and an extra
q/s at even stages. Seems a little hokey, though I perhaps hokey is OK when
you're just looking for an arbitrary convention.

"The human understanding is most excited by that which strikes and
enters the mind at once and suddenly, and by which the imagination is
immediately filled and inflated. It then begins almost imperceptibly
to conceive and suppose that everything is similar to the few objects
which have taken possession of the mind."
     -- Francis Bacon, _Novum Organum_