[r-t] Extension

Alan Reading alan.reading at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 20 11:25:16 UTC 2017

There does seem to be a common misconception that any method somehow should
and will have an extension - possibly even a unique one.
I don't much like the whole concept of extension myself.
Certainly there are plenty of nice examples of families of methods (the
fact that many of these are standard methods is partly what fuels the
obsession), there are cases where an extension appears to go through one
stage and then stops (eg London S Minor, London S Major) and then there are
the vast majority of methods that don't really extend in any meaningful way
at all. In these cases you can usually produce various higher stage methods
that purport to capture the spirit of the parent and that's about as far as
it goes.
I think in a sense by codifying extension rules the CC is responding to a
misguided popular belief in the general concept of extension.

Cheers,
Alan