[r-t] Court Bob Minor

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Tue Sep 19 18:36:49 UTC 2017

​On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Robin Woolley <robin at robinw.org.uk> wrote:
> Transposition = 21345 which looks even to me

Err, ah, looks pretty thoroughly odd* to me. As a single change it is
perhaps the canonical example of an odd permutation. What am I missing?

* As in the complement of even, not strange, though that latter adjective
certainly seems appropriate to the cross purposes at which we seem to be
talking.

"If physical theories were people, thermodynamics would be the village
witch. Over the course of three centuries, she smiled quietly as other
theories rose and withered, surviving major revolutions in physics,
like the advent of general relativity and quantum mechanics. The other
theories find her somewhat odd, somehow different in nature from the
rest, yet everyone comes to her for advice, and no-one dares to
contradict her."
 -- J Goold, et al., "The role of quantum information in thermodynamics"