[r-t] Smith's Theorem

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Tue Sep 26 08:32:22 UTC 2017

  Hi All,

I named the result after Tony Smith who, as far as I know, was the first
to mention its use in a ringing context at RW71/974. This naming is not
unknown in the mathematical litereature - not after the originator which
Tony did not claime - but after its populariser. (I know of another much
more famous example - but can't find the reference).

As it happens, we were discussing in the car on Saturday night that it
is necessary, but not sufficient. All the theorem does is to give a
quick test for one class of methods not having extents. As Richard says
it does not mean an extent is possible. This asym. Doubles method -
3.14.5.3.5.123.125.1.345 - 'passes the test' but seems to have only one
possible 'touch' - a 4-lead course using 125 as the lead end. Others
have a set of 'required leads' but these cannot be joined up into an
extent, such as 3.1.5.3.345.3.5.14.3 which has a maximum length of 100
with any combination of lead-end change.

The only 4-lead doubles methods which seem to have extents are those for
which the plain lead is plain hunt. Another way (most likely better) of
looking at this is that an ‘omit’ is a ‘required call’ for the method.
This requires thinking that a method is defined up to the first lead-end
and the ‘plain course’ is just identically generated leads joined up by
an agreed ‘silent’ call.

Best wishes