[r-t] Practical Extension

Pip Dillistone tuftyfrog at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 15:56:13 UTC 2018

On Fri, 3 Aug 2018, 11:32 Robin Woolley, <robin at robinw.org.uk> wrote:

> The current rules on extension have one advantage. They are objective
> and make no value-decision on any one in a set of competing extensions.

I think calling them objective is a bit of a stretch, and they certainly do
make value judgements by excluding some methods of extension which are
otherwise perfectly reasonable and which are widely accepted (e.g Bristol
&c.). It's not possible for any man-made classification of extensions to be
objective, since whoever writes the rules will always make some judgements
about what is acceptable and what is not.