[r-t] Practical Extension

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Fri Aug 3 19:56:51 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 1:04 PM Robin Woolley <robin at robinw.org.uk> wrote:
> Marple D6 is &x34x4x2x1.34x34.1,1.

Ah, I see the problem, that is not the correct notation for Marple, it is
instead

x34x4x2x1.34x34.1,2

> It has four decision compliant extensions (RAS):
>
> 2DE/2FG -34-4-2-1.34-34.1.56-56.1,2 (8 [2] 60)
> 2DE/5FG -34-4-2-1.34-34.1.34-34.1,2 (8 [2] 60)
> 2BC/2FG -34-4-256-6.34-34.1.56-56.1,2 (8 [2] 60)
> 2BC/5FG -34-4-256-6.34-34.1.34-34.1,2 (8 [2] 60)

If Marple Delight Major had not already been rung and named, and a band
rang any of the above and wished to call it Marple, that would seem fine to
me. That said, if for some reason I wanted to ring a method and name it
Marple myself, I’d probably only choose one of the first two, the latter
two seeming somehow a little more different. Between the first two, I’d
probably pick the second, which I note is the choice made by the band that
rang Marple Delight Major at Barrow on Soar sixteen years ago.

That said, again assuming Marple Delight Major had not already been rung
and named, if a band wished to ring any or all of those four methods and
give them other names, I’d be equally unperturbed. None of them seem like
that just have to be called Marple. Unlike, say, Plain Bob: if someone rang
a twenty-two bell peal of x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1,2 and chose to call the
method “Complex Bob Twenty-two”, even I, as anti-prescriptivist as I am,
might suggest that that is not a good name under which to record it the
Central Council’s collection; though that is probably more a function of
the sequence of extensions preceding that stage than it is something
fundamental to that specific extension mechanism.

“There are no significant bugs in our released software
that any significant number of users want fixed.”
            — Bill Gates, /Focus Magazine/ (23 October 1995)