[r-t] New methods

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sat Aug 4 02:38:11 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 4:47 PM Pip Dillistone <tuftyfrog at gmail.com> wrote:
> A silly one next: definitely never going to be rung, but I remember
> seeing an old message from years ago where someone was asking about
> rare FCHs. This is my response to that message:
>
> Double U Alliance 8: k &-145678-125678-123678-123478-123458-18,18
> FCH: U

Despite U falseness (whole courses joined by bobs are false against one
another) it is possible to make a universally true peal of the method using
singles:

http://www.ringing.org/composition/?id=16344

By taking advantage of where the falseness appears multi-part, tenors
together callings using bobs, too, are also possible:

http://www.ringing.org/composition/?id=16341

Use of I/V (which are consecutive leads in a K lead-end method with fourth
place bobs) may allow arguably simpler callings:

http://www.ringing.org/composition/?id=16342

If you don’t mind lots of calls and the tenors all over the place you can
even squeeze a surprising amount of music out of the method:

http://www.ringing.org/composition/?id=16344

http://www.ringing.org/composition/?id=16345

Or if it’s a quarter peal length one wants:

1,296 Alliance Major
 23456   W  M  H
 _______________
 24356         s
(32645)  -  -
(53624)  -  s
(65432)  -  -
(46253)  -  -
 24365   -  -
 _______________
Repeat.
Fourth place calls.
Contains 12 each 56s, 65s, 8765s off the front and 8756s off the front, and
back rounds.

1,296 Alliance Major
 234567       W  M  B  H
 _______________________
 24356                 s
 42356      In,V       s
(472536)  sT  s  s
 473526       -  s  -
(273546)         s
 423756       -  s
 243657     In,sV      s
 _______________________
Repeat.
Fourth place calls.
Contains 18 each 56s and 65s, 12 each 8765s, 8756s, 5678s off the front and
6578s off the front, 6 each 8765s off the front and 8756s off the front, 3
each 7568s and 7658s, 11 little bell rollups at the back, 28 little bell
rollups at the front, and back rounds.

Perhaps even AJB could enjoy that last one, or at least not find it
horribly disappointing.

The line of the method is arguably well suited for difficult bells, too, as
it contains few dodges.

“You would need, of course, to study and digest Riemann’s mathematics
in order to master the technique to read and use [Einstein’s field
equations]. It takes a little commitment and effort. But less than is
necessary to come to appreciate the rarefied beauty of a late
Beethoven string quartet. In both cases the reward is sheer beauty and
new eyes with which to see the world.”
   – Carlo Rovelli, /Seven Brief Lessons on Physics/,
       tr Simon Carnell and Erica Segre