[r-t] "Half lead" Spliced Maximus

Pip Dillistone tuftyfrog at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 21:46:55 UTC 2018

In March last year there was a Quarter Peal rung in London of "Bristol
spliced with Bristol, with a cheeky little coda":

https://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/view.php?id=1165637

1328 Spliced Maximus
Composed by R W Lee

1234567890ET
------------
TE0987654321 Bristol (5.5 leads)
E9078563412T Bristol (3.5 leads)
0987654321TE Bristol (7.5 leads)
978563412ET0 Bristol (3.5 leads)
87654321TE09 Bristol (7.5 leads)
1234567890ET -89-89-8-8
------------

This is half-lead splice with a difference. Instead of splicing together
the first half-lead of one method with the second half-lead of another,
here once the half-lead is reached the lead itself is restarted with the
new method (which is, in this case, the same method as before).

This really caught my imagination when I first saw it, because it seems to
me like a perfect way to get a 12-part cyclic peal with no calls and
'standard' methods, provided one of them has standard half-lead. Namely, by
getting to the half-lead handstroke 234567890ET1 (243658709TE1 at
backstroke) in a method like Bristol, and then restarting a lead, you can
then ring this course until you come to the backstroke half-lead
34567890ET12.

This gives a "6-part" cyclic composition which is actually a 12-part
construction, with alternating parts having runs at handstroke and
backstroke.

Here's a proof-of-concept for a peal.

5184 Spliced Treble-Dodging Maximus

1234567890ET           Methods
==============================
243658709TE1           BZZZZBZ(B)
34567890ET12           AAAAAAAAAA(A)

Repeat 5 times
Bracketed leads are rung until the half-lead, at which point the next
method is rung from the beginning of the lead.
Contains 3024 Avon, 1440 Zanussi, 720 Bristol

I believe it was Chris Poole who first suggested the alternating hand/back
idea, but as far as I'm aware there's not been a peal rung on this specific
sort of plan, although I could be wrong. Obviously this composition is not
ideal, with poor method balance and not enough Bristol, but unless I'm
mistaken it's the only Maximus composition consisting of only methods with
PB leadheads and no calls whatsoever. Anyone up for it?