[r-t] Funny calls

Joe Norton super.joey.norton at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 12:47:24 UTC 2018

"...although it is probably better to avoid doing so unless it brings
something additional to the party that is not achievable with the use of
standard calls..."

To put the composition in context, it is an attempt to get a less
experienced handbell ringer through their first 8 bell quarter in hand on
7-8. The fact that they're on 7-8 means that I am calling from 5-6 which
gives me slightly less brain space left for keeping things right (I'm no
Bernard Groves when it comes to calling from 5-6! ).

I dreamed up this, which I thought would be easy enough for the band and
for me to from call 5-6:

https://complib.org/composition/41004

But in practice the SW SM SW course, which swaps 5-6 back over, seemed to
unsettle the band and leave me with multiple pairs going wrong.

So I wondered about the validity of using a sneaky single in 5-6 at home to
swap me back over without involving anyone else. And without upsetting the
overall coursing rhythm of 5-6-7-8, which is partly what I think was
causing the problem.

So, thank you for your comments. I think I'll give it a go. Watch this
space...

Joe.