[r-t] Bristol Royal compositions

Pip Dillistone tuftyfrog at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 19:52:00 UTC 2018

In 2012, PJE wrote:
> I've come to the view that using 8ths place calls is by far the most elegant solution for Bristol Royal - I don't know why so many continue to stick with 4ths place.

In the years since, there’ve still been a few stones left unturned in this area. Here are three one-part peals which I think have merit. They all have a rather MBD Bristol Major feeling to them — they are focused around ‘super-efficient’ blocks which aim to give as much value for money as possible. In this case, the starting block V I V O O V, and closing block O O I I O O I, both of which are very pleasing.

The three peals also include the plain course broken into three pieces — the opening block contains the first three leads, the closing block has the last four, and the middle two leads appear in the middle of each peal, which is quite satisfying.

The first is bobs-only:

5040 Bristol S Royal No. 1
23456   V  O  I
---------------
35264   -     -
34562   -  2
64352   3  -  2
43652      -
35426   -     -
24536      2  2
23456      2  -

10 56s, 576 4-bell runs, Reverse Waterfall, Waterfall, Backrounds

The second uses two singles to replace the middling section between the two blocks with one containing little-bell runs involving the 7, as well as the remaining courses of 56s to bump up the proportion of 5-, 6- and 7-bell runs:

5040 Bristol S Royal No. 2
23456   V  O  I
---------------
35264   -     -
34562   -  2
24365   -
64352   s     s
43652      -
35426   -  3  -
24536      2  2
23456      2  -

18 56s, 555 4-bell runs, Backrounds

A David Pipe peal included in the compositions of the decade used a lone 4-ths place call to give 8 leads of the mega-tittums course, a rare treat. The third peal uses the same technique, but incorporates it into the ‘super-efficient’ structure to bring the run count up considerably.

5000 Bristol S Royal
23456    V  O  I  H
-------------------
35264    -     -