[r-t] Opinions sought

Ted Steele bells at tedsteele.plus.com
Sat Jan 26 13:30:40 GMT 2019

On 26/01/2019 12:20, Ian McCulloch wrote:

>- there are many ringers (probably most
> ringers) for whom knowing whether the changes of method are coming at
> rounds or not, or whether the changes of method come at the lead-end or
> not, makes a huge difference.  I think it is reasonable to have some
> terminology that can aid in describing these differences.

Surely the discussion is about the fact that the term "spliced"; if
closely defined, fails to serve this purpose, for the various reasons
that have been illustrated. However, custom and usage without specific
definition, has enabled the term to serve perfectly well for ages and
can continue to do so. Perhaps the term should apply to compositions
rather than to performances.

Ted