[r-t] Cyclic 7-parts of major

Richard Pullin grandsirerich at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 26 11:49:37 BST 2019

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019, Simon Humphrey wrote:

>There was a 7-part peal of PB8 rung at Putney sometime in the early 60's I
>think, though with plain course lead ends as the part ends IIRC, not
cyclic.  I >noticed it in the peal book when visiting for a peal (in 1968
?), and was a bit put >out because I thought I'd invented 7-parts just a
few months or so before.  >Might have been composed by a Reverend
somebody-or-other, but it wasn't a >famous name and I can't remember it now.

That sounds like Rev J. Holme Pilkington, who was incumbent at Framlingham
and composed many interesting and unusual peals of Bob Major. To support
this, I recently read in Bob Smith's book that they rang a 7-part of Bob
Major by Pilkington which uses the plain course lead ends.

Having done a Google search it seems that Pilkington died in about 1916,
which puts him long before the other candidates that have been suggested.