[r-t] Triples puzzles

Andrew Johnson andrew_johnson at uk.ibm.com
Thu Jul 16 17:47:55 BST 2020

> From: Richard Pullin
>
> Have managed to produce a 5040 for challenge 1...whether it meets
> challenge 2, who knows!
>
> I had a very similar idea to Robert, which was to come up with a
> Plain method that could carry out the task: 5.147.5.3.147.3,147
1342756.
I think this is 5.147.5.3.147.3.147,147

> 'Bobs' are substituted 5s or 3s that don't affect the treble. To
> overcome the parity barrier, the treble gets affected by occasional
> 'calls,' thereby producing long and short leads in those instances.
> This automatically created a building block for a very nice 18-part
structure.

> I guess it is also quite rare for a peal to have calls everywhere
> except at the lead ends (or lead heads, or whatever we're supposed
> to call them!)
>
> 5040 New Triples method
>    234567
> X  742563
> P  427356
> A  324675
> P  243567
> A  542736
> 2P 254367
> 3A 657432
> P  576243
> L  627345
> D  673524
> 3B 527364
> C  273465
> P  732546
> B  367524
> P  673452
> 18-part, replacing final B with W in parts 6,12 and 18.
Your composition works, but I typed it in wrong the first
time and found that replacing the final P with C
in parts 6,12 and 18 also works (or have C at the end
except P in parts 6,12,18).

Also
X,P,A,P,A,P,P,A,A,A,P,L,D,B,B,A,D,P,A,D
then replacing the last D with P in parts 6,12,18 works.
It has fewer plains, but fewer types of call.

Andrew Johnson
--

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.