[r-t] Stedman-like Minor principle

Alexander E Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Thu May 14 21:10:50 BST 2020

For several decades I have been looking for a reasonable Minor
equivalent of Stedman.  (Some near misses in my opinion are: "Bala bob"
- a plain method with Stedman slow work front and back; Shipway - quick
and slow eights, but needs horrendous calls for an extent; Storme -
Stedman quick and slow work, but a different back work and a variable
hunt bell).

Finally I have found something like what I wanted.  I realize it is a
niche market, but to me this is a something of a breakthrough.

It is a principle, with double dodging behind, and quick and slow works,
and importantly, it gives the extent using only the natural
Stedman-style bobs.  (Singles would have been acceptable too, but they
are not needed - yay!)  The only thing some might see as a blemish is
that one does three blows in 4ths when making the bob, because the slow
work starts with 4ths.  It should really feel very Stedman-like to ring.

http://www.boojum.org.uk/cgi-bin/line.pl?bells=6&pn=%26-4.3.2.34-%2C2&title=Parrot%20Minor&lines=1&line=2&line1=h&line1c=red&line1w=1%2F4%20pt&line2=v&style=1&place-bellsx=on&rule=3%2C6&action.x=1

https://complib.org/composition/66308?accessKey=a666b2e8655c76c46d46e26ed024406c0617071b

720 Parrot Minor
Alexander E Holroyd

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   123456
------------------------
- -   -   - -     153246
- - -   - - -     154632
   - -     - - -   152436
       - -         513264
     - - - -   -   316254
-     - -   - -   536214
- -   -   - -     516324
   - -     - - -   514623
     - - - -   -   412653
-     - -   - -   542613
- -           -   623415
- -   - -     -   253416
-     - -     -   523461
- -   - -     -   213465
-     - -     -   123456
------------------------

&-4.3.2.34-, 2
bob = 34 for 3 at six end

As many of us know, it's quite difficult to find minor principles of any
kind that give the extent.

It was constructed by choosing the bob course to be the minimus
principle &-4.34.2.34-,2, with 56 dodging behind.  The plain course of
the minimus principle is a 48 with each row once at hand and once at
back.  Consequently the bob course of the minor method has all the rows
with 5 and 6 behind.  Therefore the extent is contained in 15 bob
course, one for each possible pair of bells.

Plains are made by substituting 3 for 34 in two places 6 rows apart
("six ends"), so the plain course has no 3 blows in the same place.
Since 15 is odd, the 15 bob courses can easily be joined by 7 q-sets of
3 plains into a bobs-only 720.  This would be simple to call but has a
lot of bobs.  It is possible to insert lots more q-sets of plains - this
composition contains the fewest bobs I could come up with.  I wasn't
able to find an n-part.

Since these are all these mutually true sixes, reasonable peal
compositions of the obvious major version seem plausible, but I haven't
investigated this.

Can someone find a nicer 720?  Other ideas along these lines?