[r-t] ETH paper on change ringing

John Harrison john at jaharrison.me.uk
Wed Jan 27 20:31:33 GMT 2021

I just stumbled across this paper:

https://math.ch/TMU2017/Campanology_Ringing_the_changes.pdf

I've only glanced at it so far.  I see familiar names in the bibliography.

He mentions Colin Wylde's bobs-only Stedman Triples, and prints the
composition in an appendix, but his description says that the composition
doesn't start with rounds, having obviously not twigged that Stedman
doesn't 'start' at a six end, so the notation 2314567 refers to the six
containing rounds.

It's interesting how things we take for granted are not always understood
by non-ringing mathematicians.  Sarah Hart had misconstrued a couple of
things too.

--
John Harrison
Website http://jaharrison.me.uk