[r-t] new spliced minor compositions

Alexander E Holroyd holroyd at uw.edu
Thu Jul 14 23:21:14 BST 2022

The following 5760 of the standard 41 S Minor (rung yesterday at Frenchay) is the shortest with the "atw for plain leads" property, i.e. all the work including plain leads of every method.

https://complib.org/composition/92085

The usual convention for spliced that includes 2nds and 6ths variants of the same method (such as Cambridge and Primrose) is that plain leads of both methods must be included, otherwise it is hard to claim that both methods have really been rung.  However, in 5-part atw compositions it is typical for some of the methods that don't have both variants (such as London) to be bobbed or singled every time they occur.

On the other hand, the above composition includes plain leads of every method.  Moreover, because it is a 5-part, every inside bell rings every place bell of every method to a plain lead.  In other words, proper atw!  Since each part must contain 41 methods in 48 leads, there can be at most 7 calls per part, and they must all be in methods that are duplicated.  (In fact there are 6 calls per part).

This peal is one of a set of four with the atw for plain leads property that between them cover the standard 147:

S  41m 5760 https://complib.org/composition/92085
4D 35m 5040 https://complib.org/composition/94279
3D 42m 5760 https://complib.org/composition/90855
TB 29m 5040 https://complib.org/composition/85894

(All the above were rung recently by the same band, except for the 4D, for which we rang a different version with 1456 singles).

One disadvantage of the above set is the need to ring two 5760s.  I wondered whether it might be possible to reduce the length by splitting the methods up differently.  I managed to find to find the following (currently unrung) compositions in which the methods with two overworks (broken down by wrong or right place, and 4ths or 6ths at the 23 cross-section) are combined, all of them with the plain leads property.

Ox+Do 36m 5040 https://complib.org/composition/96532
Lo+Cl 31m 5040 https://complib.org/composition/96619 (bobs only)
Kt+Hi 35m 5040 https://complib.org/composition/96541 (bobs only)

The remaining Cm+No overworks have 45 methods, which would preclude a 5-part 5760 with the plain leads property (because only 3 calls per part would be possible).  Perhaps surprisingly, it appears that there is no 5-part 5760 of these methods at all, although a 6480 with the plain leads property would be possible.

Nonetheless, this means that one can now ring the 147 atw with plain leads in three 5040s and one 5760, by combining the compositions S, 4D, Ox+Do, Kt+Hi.  If an extra 20 minutes in the pub is not sufficient incentive, this might provide an interesting alternative route for working up to the 147 for some bands.

While we are here, I recently came up with the following composition of the 41 that might be of interest.  It is basically a 5-part atw 5040 in 39 methods.  John Warboys previously produced several fascinating compositions like this, but here the 2 missing methods are Surfleet and Hexham.  These can be substituted for their lead-splicers Beverley and Berwick in some parts to get 41m (breaking the atw property, of course).

https://complib.org/composition/98747

Enjoy!

Ander