[r-t] 5250 Plain Bob 8

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sat Nov 20 16:21:41 UTC 2004

> I have never rung a peal with more than 2 types of call.

Crikey. Not even one with lead-end and half-lead bobs & singles?

Anyway, you must have rung some shite compositions of Maximus then! Unless
you ring 10 courses, the music available in your Yorkshire or Cambridge is
much reduced if you have to use a snap finish.

Personally I don't see the point in ringing rubbish for the sake of a few
out-dated conventions. If half-lead calls, big bobs, big singles etc allow
you to ring musical courses and avoid the duffers - as is otherwise
impossible to do in say a quarter-peal comp of Maximus - then what's wrong?

I even make an exception for funny starts when the length is very short and
there's no other way to get the music - for instance the follow two courses
of Grandsire Caters with a 4-7 lie-still start are perfect for half-muffled
ringing:

(23547689)
 42365879   2 4 5 (6 leads)
(34265879) 1 2 3

Well almost perfect... except you get the rollups off the front muffled.

MBD