[r-t] Non-distinct fragments

Andrew Tibbetts ajwxyzt at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 22 09:04:43 UTC 2004

>In spite of xyz's views about grids, method names provide a convenient way
>to learn, remember, and call long sequences of place notation.

So for our peal on Wednesday, instead of knowing 45 under grids [S1-16,
Mendip, 720, Chelsea, Icarus, Surfleet, Nailsea, Walpole, Beverley, Izzat,
Audley, Cambridge, Superlative, Newchurch, D1-4, D7-10, Sedlescombe, High
Halden, Kelso, Kenilworth, Comberton] and 45 over grids [the previous list
flipped upside down], it would be easier to learn 729 method names (some of
which do not exist, some of which do not give 5-lead plain courses, some of
which have not been previously rung and named)?

There is a (surprisingly) low threshold at which names become a hindrance.
The 'standard' 41 Surprise Minor (only 24 grids here...) falls within it.
The 729 grids (aka CC's collection of 2400 TDMM) does not. Neither did the
206/209 Surprise (though only about 140-odd grids here ;-) ).

The 'we only ring Surprise' ringers of this world (the type of people that
the 2 page spread of Beverley *and* Surfleet in the RW diary is designed
for...), will, fortunately, not venture too far past the threshold, if at
all. I would say 'come on in, the water's lovely', but we're enjoying being
the only ones in the pool, so don't.

xyz