[r-t] random pn

Chris Poole poole at maths.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 3 09:01:31 UTC 2004

MBD:

> Personally I think that underlying concept might be "structure": does not
> the very word "method" implies some internal structure? A method is not just
> a random round-block of place notation: it must have some internal,
> repeating characteristic to be called a method. Otherwise, it has no method.
> Perhaps.

Here's a Friday teaser - suppose we're looking at methods on N bells.  If
I just write down random pieces of valid place notation, and look at the
method that is the outcome of these ordered bits of pn, when do I expect
it to come round? (Ignoring issues of falseness, of course, unless you're
very lucky!)

I'm off for a walk, hopefully not so random, as the canal is pretty close
to my house!

Chris