[r-t] Symmetry/plain methods

John Goldthorpe johng at omnieng.co.uk
Mon Feb 21 13:42:44 UTC 2005

Philip Earis wrote:

> One thing I've wanted for a while is a peal composition containing
> methods of several different symmetry types.  I'd like to do this with
> plain major methods, and include:
>
> - conventional (palindromic) symmetry - ideally plain bob
> - conventional double symmetry - ideally double norwich, though
> possibly double bob, double coslany etc.
> - glide symmetry - ideally double cambridge cyclic bob
> - rotational symmetry - ideally anglia cyclic bob
>
> and possibly additionally
> - mirror symmetry, eg mirror bob
> - asymmetry, eg eastern bob
>
> Are you up for the compositional challenge?  Ideally a 7 (or 8) part,
> maxmised for runs.  I'd love you to bits if you could come up with
> something decent.

Here is a composition in the first 4 methods:

5040 Spliced Major (4 methods)
John M Goldthorpe
   2345678 N
 - 8642735 NCCANCPA
 - 6275384 CPNA
 - 8467523 PN
 - 5684372 PN
 - 3856247 ACPN
 - 7256843 NAP
 - 2346875 P
 - 2367458 A
 - 3826745 AAPPCNCPNACPANNACCP
   -------
   5678234
7 part.
1344 Double Norwich Court Bob (N), Plain Bob; 1232 Anglia Cyclic Bob;
1120 Double Cambridge Cyclic Bob (C). 251 com.