[r-t] Extents in half leads - Double Oxford T.P.

Mike Ovenden mike.ovenden at homecall.co.uk
Fri Jul 8 20:31:54 UTC 2005

Mentioning D.O.T.P. Minor in a recent post reminded me of a couple of
curious features.

(A) the (2nds place) method is true in the plain course, but the 6ths place
version is not.
(B) the plain course (and hence any complete course) cannot appear in an
extent of the method (not even in separate pieces).

Neither of these features is particularly surprising when you consider that
the method has the wrong parity structure for a standard bobs-only extent.

However, they did incline me to question the decision requiring the plain
course to be a true round block.  When it's possible to ring a true 720,
does the plain course matter that much?  (I rather doubt if a plain course
of it has actually been rung; if it has, would anyone care about its truth?
OTOH I don't see the point of a false extent - not that I find it a
meaningful concept.)

Feature (A) will seem familiar enough to anyone who's played around with
principles.  It's more surprising in a hunter, but only because of the
normal assumptions about parity.

Feature (B) obviously applies to Yorkshire Surprise Major (and presumably a
good many other treble dodging major methods) - see recent discussion of
Colin Wyld's 40320.  However, since most people don't want to ring extents
of anything beyond triples, that's a bit irrelevant.  Can anyone enlighten
me with other examples on 7 or fewer bells?

Regards,
Mike

PS.  Feature (B) ...

The sets L and R (as defined in recent posts) for DOTP Minor are
L: {123456,135246,142536,154326}
R: {124356,132546,145236,153426}

145236 is a lead end (in effect a half-lead head) in the plain course, but
cannot appear with 123456 in an extent because it appears in the set R.

Double Oxford Treble Place Minor
 - 34 - 16.34 - 34.16 - 34 - 56 le 12

   123456 154632 136245 142563 165324
x  214365 516423 312654 415236 613542