[r-t] Spliced TB Major

Philip Earis Earisp at rsc.org
Wed Apr 12 11:57:12 UTC 2006

Peter Hinton:
"I was intrigued by the peal on p. 330 of the Ringing World. Does anyone
(e.g. PJE) know the reason for this collection of strange methods?"

I haven't actually seen p330, but from context I assume it's the peal of
17m at Willesden on 16 March.

The peal was a warm-up for a peal of 23-spliced TB major, which is being
attempted in a few weeks.  Your email has kindly reminded me that I've
got lots of learning to do.  The 23 spliced composition doesn't contain
the more standard methods (Kent & V. Easy) in the peal of 17m you refer
to.

Peter King put the composition together and has organised the peals.  I
think his motivation was that some halfwit told him that you couldn't
get difficult Treble Bob major methods.  How wrong you can be.

In short, the methods are fiendishly difficult. Being TB makes them a
lot more fluid than surprise, and consequently a lot, lot harder to
learn.  Have a look at the grids (or blue lines if you have to) to see
what I mean. The limited notations available for each section lead to a
number of 'motifs', but these appear in different contexts in different
methods. I found the learning an order of magnitude harder than
Chandler's, which is actually fairly easy if you think about it the
right way.  I'd go so far to say that the 23m treble bob peal, when
rung, will be the most complex normal-length 8-bell peal yet rung.  I
think most if not all members of the band would agree with me.

The names generally recognise the difficulty of the collection of
methods. You may notice they mostly begin with different letters - the
one concession to ease is that the composition follows the logical
order.  Though naming the methods after the respective lead-head groups
would have made it a lot easier still!

Peter could write a long tale of woe on how long it has taken to get as
far as ringing 14 of the methods spliced together. I'll leave it to him
whether he wants to make the remaining methods publicly available at
this point.  I suspect there may be a RW article in due course. My view
is that having everything is the public domain is always good.

DISCLAIMER:

This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the addressee only and may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material. It may not be relied upon or disclosed to any other person without the consent of the RSC. If you have received it in error, please contact us immediately. Any advice given by the RSC has been carefully formulated but is necessarily based on the information available, and the RSC cannot be held responsible for accuracy or completeness. In this respect, the RSC owes no duty of care and shall not be liable for any resulting damage or loss. The RSC acknowledges that a disclaimer cannot restrict liability at law for personal injury or death arising through a finding of negligence. The RSC does not warrant that its emails or attachments are Virus-free: Please rely on your own screening.