[r-t] Numbers

Samuel M. Austin combineharvestersam at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 14 14:02:15 UTC 2006

Afternoon, I've been thinking about extents of major with bells in their
home position - some peals compositions have "6th the extent in 6ths" for
example.

I've tried to come up with a simple formula for this and this is what I've
got.

It may be completely wrong and it wouldn't surprise me if it is but here it
is anyway and hope you don't mind looking at my working

Aye

Sam

Extent with 7-8 together

40320 / 3 = 13440

With 6,7,8 at home

40320 / (3 X 5) = 2688                     -   the 3 being the number 40320
was divided by last  time               and the 5 the number of remaining
bells

With 5,6,7,8 at home

40320 / (15 x 4) = 672

With 4,5,6,7,8 at home