[r-t] Handbell Touch and minor principle

simon humphrey sh at keystrata.co.uk
Thu Nov 23 07:45:27 UTC 2006

This principle, on 6 at least, was quite well known in the Nottingham area
in the mid 60's.  It was called Coal Minor then, I don't know what its
proper name is now.  We rang it as treble bob hunting, but making Kent and
Oxford places alternately on reaching 3-4.
I was very puzzled as to why should be so easy to produce true extents of
it, when an extent of the closely related Forward (34-34.16) is nigh on
impossible to obtain.

I've never seen an even-bell principle on 8 or more that might stand a
chance of popularity, i.e. interesting to ring but not too difficult, easy
to keep right, and musical. The Ringing World ran a competition, in 1967 I
think, offering a £100 prize for the best principle submitted.  Nothing very
notable emerged, though: I think the prize was shared between several people
in the end.
SH