[r-t] Extent of major

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Fri May 18 18:36:03 UTC 2007

 Hello people,

Greetings from Graz. It's been far too quiet on this list recently - I'm wanting to be inspired...

I'm curious as to whether anyone can come up with a worthwhile extent of spliced treble-dodging major (ideally 180 methods, atw).

I think a basic strategy is well-known: get a basic block with 7 and 8 in every position relative to the treble, so it reduces to a fewer-bell problem, and use three calls at 5ths for each course as for bob major. Splice in methods as appropriate. Can anyone fill in the blanks though?

Please, someone, come up with something. Glory will be your reward. I think this is one of the golden ringing problems of the moment, along with:

- decent 23 spliced cyclic 7-part treble-dodging major with all 96 4-runs of each type

- elegant spliced stedman triples and bristol major

- the standard 147 minor in as short a length as possible

Any solutions? Any further problems?