[r-t] Runny compositions

AG Reading ar5597 at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Nov 26 11:52:24 UTC 2007

The figures for the composition are on the web. I see Richard had already
provided a link to it. I thought it might be of interest to give brief
description of how the composition is constructed.

It is basically a palindrome, the points of symmetry being about the
middle of a lead of Bristol and a lead of Americium. It is constructed in
3 lead sections each of which are themselves palindromic.

 All the runs at the back come in methods which start -5-4.5- with the
exception of Gem which starts -56-4-56- and does provide some runs at the
back. The ones of the front are more subtle though.

 Dunster is a very useful method as it provides pairs of runs of the front
in the same lead as ones at the back. Barnstormer is designed to give the
remaining 4
runs and link the 2 leads of Dunster together, thus the course Dunster
Barnstomer Dunster gives a total of 8 runs of the front. This is used for
times in each part to give 32 of the 48 runs required.

The most awkward course is the plain course since it provides both 5678
and 5432 runs and so only ringing 3 leads of it would inevitably miss some
out. To get round this problem I used Americium which, like Dunster,
starts -5-4.5-5.36-4-5- and in affect links 2 leads of Dunster together.
Also being a-group it can be twice bobed to obtain the "cyclic shunt".
The remaining plain course runs appear in the 2 leads Gem which is a
similar below to barnstormer and gives the same runs, but being (nearly)
cornwall above provides the necceseray runs at the back.  The pivotal lead
of Bristol provides no runs but simply links the 2 leads of Gem together.

The 78 in the place notations of Barnstormer and Gem are required to
switch the parity between the runs that occur when the treble is in 5-6
and those when it is in 7-8, in order that they are distinct from runs
that occur in Dunster.

Cheers,
Alan