[r-t] Provisional records, was New methods

Ted Steele ted.steele at tesco.net
Fri Aug 1 18:10:52 UTC 2008

Philip Earis wrote:
> The only thing I agree with you about is that your proposal is not thought out. It's a stinker.
OK Philip, perhaps you are right but I think that you and I actually
have the same aim. It is always risky to voice ideas that haven't been
fully worked through (especially on this list) but at least they might
get discussed before the discussion moves on and the opportunity is
lost. To put it simply my suggestion boils down to a proposal that there
should be a means of providing for the CCCBR to record, publicise and
recognise, at least provisionally every new innovation, thus promoting
development and encouraging the innovators while leaving it to the
exercise in general to determine through its actions whether some new
innovation is worth establishing as mainstream practice. Would you agree
that this is in line with your own aims? How this might be achieved
would need careful consideration and a provisional list is but one
possibility.

Many years ago I looked at the simple major principle 36 X 36.18. This
gives a neat plain course of 8 sections with back rounds halfway. On the
basis that "methods are based upon principles" I put seconds place at
the end of the course and had a method in which the treble treble-bobs
at front and back with 3rds, dodge 4-5, 6ths in the middle. It looked
rather difficult to get music out of it and pretty false and it remained
a curiosity. Had I been able to arrange for a peal of this stuff it
would presumably not have been recognised because of some decision or
other. My proposal would allow such things to be recognised, in this
case as a peal in say a provisional category of  "Miscellaneous Method
Types" where no doubt it would still remain alongside lots of other
useless stuff which once looked interesting.

Ted