[r-t] Proposed definition of a peal

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Thu Aug 7 03:16:47 UTC 2008

Don Morrison wrote:

> 3) Between some or all of the rows of a piece of change ringing the
>   order of many of the bells will change. The number of bells that
>   are changing between some of the rows is called the stage. It is
>   an integer greater than or equal to 2, but less than or equal to
>   the total number of bells being rung. Traditionally these stages
>   are given names; for example the 6 bell stage is referred to as
>   "minor".

I've not noticed a version of this that everyone's happy
with.

Can we not just change

> The number of bells that are changing between some of the
> rows is called the stage.

   The number of bells that change place between rows at any
   time during the piece of change ringing is called the
   stage.

That seems to clarify what's meant.

> - Things such as cylindrical are excluded from this definition of
>  change ringing. While I personally would like to see it included, I
>  believe my opinion on that point is a minority one.

I'd like to see it included too.  But your framework
provides a good starting point to do that, should there be
demand for it.  All we need to do is to tweak the
definitions of a row and a change and we're away.  A typical
block of cylindrical might look something like:

   123456
   213542
   615324

and in this style of cylindrical there are 2.n! rows in the
extent, so that definition needs altering too.  But once
that's done, the whole truth framework surives unscathed.

Though, if you combine jump changes and cylinderical, things
start getting a bit fun ...

RAS