[r-t] 8-spliced touch

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Thu Aug 7 18:04:22 UTC 2008

I agree this would be nice to know.  The number of possibilities (without
pruning the tree for truth) is 8!*8^3 = 260,000,000, which seems a bit on
the large size.  Maybe just about doable with a fast program and computer.

But perhaps some more constraints would be desirable.  E.g. every lead
should contain at least one run (this would allow for a much faster
search), and perhaps one should insist on a variety in types of runs (it
would be pretty sad if they were all 5678s) - but how best to formulate
this?

I would like to know similar things for normal length touches of e.g.
Grandsire triples, Stedman triples.  First one must decide what one
wants...