[r-t] Anything Goes vs Peals Mean Something

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Fri Aug 8 12:37:28 UTC 2008

Mark Davies wrote:

> 1. Enough changes. We could debate what that is, but to me allowing less
> than 5040 for Triples devalues quite a lot of change-ringing history.
> Suddenly you can ring a peal of bobs-only Grandsire. No!

Like Iain, I don't have a problem with shorter peals of
triples, such as the 5039 he outlines.  I thought that my
versions of Don's definitions captured this well by having
two concepts: true and complete.  A true 5040 of triples is
true and complete; Iain's 5039 of triples is true but not
complete.

I'm quite happy with them both being called peals, but we
now have labels with which to distinguish the types of
peals.  The PAC could be required to keep track of the two
separately, for example.

And anyway, you can ring bobs-only Grandsire in the current
framework -- you just have to use a mixture of 3rds and 5ths
place bobs, or use some other trick.

> 3. Comprised of changeringing methods. A peal of call changes is not a
> changeringing peal.

I'll agree that a peal of call changes is not a change
ringing peal.  But I don't see why it can't be a call change
peal, and therefore still a peal.

> A peal where someone follows the same bell for the
> duration is not a changeringing peal for that ringer.

I'm not sure I agree.  I think covering over the same bell
throughout a peal, while maintaining a good rhythm and a
high standard of striking, would be harder, not easier, than
covering over a whole sequence of different bells as in an
normal peal.  (And I think it would be even harder still if
you were the bell sandwiched in between the tenor and the
method.)

> Now we want to relax a lot of pointless rules, to allow more innovation in
> method ringing, and better classification of methods than the ballsed-up
> system we have at the moment. However to me it is chiefly the rules around
> *methods* that must be liberalised, and a descriptive approach taken with
> them. High standards should remain for peals - those which are going to be
> accepted as peals by the changeringing community.

But you've already accepted that you cannot legislate for
that.  If a band of numpties turn up and crash through
three-and-a-half hours of Lyddington Max at Cornhill -- so
basically, shit bells, a shit method, and a shit band --
no-one has a problem calling this a peal.

But if a relatively isolated band manages to ring its first
local-band peal -- and the first peal for a number of its
participants -- but they ring doubles with 768 behind
throughout, that would be a real achievement.  But under the
current decisions, and yours, it wouldn't be peal (or
wouldn't be for the ringers of 6 and 8: I'm a little unclear
about that).

On a number of occassions, the idea has been mooted of
making quarter peals recognised by the CC.  One of the
strongest objections to this, and one with which I currently
sympathise, is that this would make quarters subject to the
CC decisions.  But fundamentally, I whole-heartedly support
recognition of quarter peals -- it seems wrong that the CC
devotes so much energy to something that only 10% of ringers
do, while ignoring what the majority (probably) do.

We need the definition of 'true' to sufficiently flexible
that it does not rule out things that are currently rung in
quarter peals, because it would be very confusing for 'true'
to mean different things in the contexts of quarters and of
peals.

RAS