[r-t] Anything Goes vs Peals Mean Something

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Sun Aug 10 21:37:26 UTC 2008

Mark Davies wrote:

> For instance, two extents of Minor and a 3600 of Triples
> could produce this. You're not saying you'd reject that?

No, of course not.

>> So I'm happy to accept that a minimally, 'accidentally' false peal of
>> Stedman could quite likely be rescued in this way.
>
> I'm not. "Rescuing" false peals of Stedman. It's a bit shit Richard!

When I said, "I'm happy", I meant that I accepted that it
was the logical conclusion of what I was proposing and with
which I was (and am) happy.  I don't like it: yes, it is a
bit shit.  But I've not seen any workable ideas that get
around it.  Your 'whole lead' idea, even you've acknowledged
is too restrictive.  You're spending a lot of time arguing
with idea of breaking an extent up arbitrarily, but you
haven't actually provided a decent alternative yet.

>> What you now have is a peal of Mixed Stedman Triples and Variable Cover
>> Original Singles, or something of that ilk.  The very fact that the peal
>> needs a silly title should itself warn people that the peal is a bit
>> dodgy.
>
> You've put your finger on it - mixed Triples and Singles is dodgy!

Yes, it's a bit dodgy, but that's why there's a bit scary
title of 'Mixed Stedman Triples and Variable Cover Original
Singles' (or similar).  If you see that published in the RW,
you know it's not your run of the mill peal of Stedman
Triples.  And then you can look at the band, the composer,
and any further details given, before forming an opinion.
If it says "comp. DJP, cond. DCB" you probably know it's
worth devoting some time to understanding it.  And if it
says "comp. J. Q. Random" was rung in Much Piddling-in-the-
Fen, you probably know it isn't.  But isn't that the way
with all peals?

RAS