[r-t] Big searches

Mike Ovenden mike.ovenden at homecall.co.uk
Mon Jan 7 22:41:37 UTC 2008

That loop looks exactly like mine (except that for MUG, items 4 and 6 amount
to the same thing).  I guess the difference lies in what we each do for item
1.

Mine's basically the FKM algorithm (see below) with some pruning for
falseness.  Here's what happens when I put in a length constraint (20
eights) and comment out the falseness checking.  Obviously the touches
aren't of much interest...

 6 pppppp
 12 pppppppppppp
 18 pppppppppppppppppp
 20 ppppppppppppppbbppbb
Completed
Depth InternalNodes Branches
 1 1 2
 2 2 3
 3 3 5
 4 5 8
 5 8 14
 6 14 23
 7 23 41
 8 41 71
Totals
InternalNodes Branches Comps
 125303 236315 775

You can look up the third column in the On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer
Sequences to discover that it's A062692 - the Number of irreducible
polynomials over F_2 of degree at most n.  Doesn't mean anything much to me,
but I gather that it's the same as the number of binary pre-necklaces of
length n, which is what I expect.

Since this is one of the means I used to validate my program, you can
probably understand my focus on exact values.  Not that it matters as long
as you know what you're doing and I (think I) know what I'm doing!

Regards,
Mike