[r-t] odds & ends

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Sat Jul 19 17:27:58 UTC 2008

Ben said "Robin Woolley writes:
"> Since Mr. Earis declares himself to be against innovation and/or progress

Where?"

By implication.

Radical = 'innovative or progressive'

PJE says: "Mine is not the radical view - it's the few in charge of the
methods committee and the CC that have the (unpalatable) radical views"

The implication is that the CC are 'innovative or progressive' and PJE has
indicated he takes the opposite view to the CC.

I also copy the entry from the Longman Dictionary supplied with my lap-top:
"adj: a radical change or difference is very big and important; radical
ideas are very new and different, and are against what most people think or
believe;someone who is radical has ideas that are very new and different,
and against what most people think or believe; very good or enjoyable;
n: someone who has new and different ideas, especially someone who wants
complete social and political change"

If you say this is not the radical view, you cannot complain if a
dictionary definition is used as a synonym. How about: "[PJE's] is not
the very good view"

In many ways, it would help if contributors read the History of Change
Ringing. Someone once said that those who don't learn the lessons of history
are doomed to repeat its mistakes. A lot of what has been discussed appears
somewhere within those three volumes. I even think Variable Cover gets a
mention.

Don (at least) won't know this, but many years ago, some expermental laws
were introduced in cricket. They were eventually made permanent, as it
happens. I have long thought (>12 years) that there should be some room for
'experimental' decisions but it was made quite clear by the proponents of
Variable Cover, for example, that nothing else but full 'recognition' would
do. An 'experimental' decision would lapse after a certain number of years
if the things it covered became obsolete. (Obsolete = unrung in this case).
The problem with Dixon's Bob Minor is another example, 'tho the PA committee
has included it in the Analysis in recent years.

Best wishes
Robin