[r-t] Compositions of the Decade: Part 4 - Triples

edward martin edward.w.martin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 09:42:16 UTC 2009

2009/12/1 Philip Saddleton <pabs at cantab.net>:

> Philip Earis said  on 01/12/2009 21:20:
>>
>> 1) Quick Six Triples – Philip Saddleton – Composition unrung (method first
>> rung December 2004)
>
> I don't think this can count. I first produced a composition in the early
> 1980s - we went for it in Cambridge but lost it after five parts of six. I
> think that the method was first discovered by John Carter.
>
> --
> Regards
> Philip
> http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/saddleton/

It may go back even further than that but A.J. Pitman certainly
published 5040s of it in the 1920s

While Eddie Martin is receiving such glory, might I add that it is
very difficult to get in ahead of PABS but, when I was searching for
pallindromic comps of Erin Triples I had realised that they couldn’t
be had in Stedman using ordinary singles; but could be had using
singles made in 4-5 in the middle of a six. I was a bit disappointed
that they did not seem to yield too much if used as an integral part
of a course but could be as he illustrates, with say Hudson’s courses.
I sent in a variation of Dexter's No 2 of Thurstans for publication,
but don’t know if or when it was published- probably in the late
1990s. It looked rather clumsy set out under SHLQ columns, but there
we are.

Eddie