[r-t] Compositions of the Decade: Part 6 - Caters

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Fri Dec 11 23:07:03 UTC 2009

After reading Philip's Caters article, I do feel duty-bound to stand up for
Grandsire. Yes, he's right, we do need more innovation in Caters methods,
but, one could ring Grandsire Caters forever, and I hope we shall.

So, I think a composition or two of Grandsire should be added at number 3 on
Philip's list, as defining examples of little-bell Caters compositions.
Grandsire is probably a better method than Stedman to exhibit the little
bells to good effect - look at the plain course, for example! David Hull was
(I believe) the first to compose little-bell peals in Grandsire, and he has
several fantastic peals in this mould, at least one of which deserves to
join Mark's Stedman.

I was inspired by David's example to pursue simpler variants more
appropriate to my conducting abilities, and in 2003 produced this effort,
which sadly remains unrung. I think it's worthwhile. I have rung most of the
courses and transitions in shorter lengths, and they are more wonderful than
you might think.

 5075 Grandsire Caters, comp MBD

 23456789  1 2 3 4 5
 -------------------
 32654987  -   -   S
 63254978  - S -
 -------------------
 35462       - -   S |
 65432     S          6 leads | A
 53264       - -   S |
 43256     S     S |
 -------------------
 34256879  -   - -
 23456978  -   - S
 43652        A*
 24356     - - S
 42356879  -   - -
 23546     S       -
 62345978  -   -      6 leads
 24563       - -   S
 -------------------
 32465879  -   -      6 leads |
 43265     - - - | B
 24365     - - - |
 -------------------
 34562        A*
 34265978     B
 -------------------
 56432       - -      6 leads
 63254879    S -   S
 -------------------

Repeat, omitting first two courses.
A* = A with bob for s4
Rounds in last course of final B block

Contains:
 28 courses of little-bell music
 22 56/65 course ends
 Rollercoaster

In 2002 I did successfully call an even simpler version:

5021 Grandsire Caters, comp MBD

 23456789  1 2 3 4 5
 -------------------
 42356978  -     -    6 leads
 -------------------
 34256     - - -
 23456     - - -
 35624879   *S -   S
 25634     S          6 leads
 53426       - -   S
 43652     S     -
 24356     - - S
 32456     - - -
 43256     - - -      <<
 64352     - - S
 26453     - - S
 62453978  -   - -
 45263       - - S
 24563     - - -
 32465     - - S

Repeat 3 times, omitting first course in all further parts.
Call Bob for Single at * in parts 2, 4
Rounds occurs in course marked << in 4th part.

Includes 16 courses of 3456/6543 little-bell music.

I'm a strong believer that, sometimes, simple is good.

MBD